If you found the PCI devices changes to PCI Simple Communications Controller and with a yellow exclamation mark in Device Manager, it means that your PCI Simple Communications Controller driver is missing, and your PCI device cannot be recognized by Windows 10/11.
What is PCI Simple Communications Controller?
PCI is short for Peripheral Component Interconnect, it is used to connect the devices to the computer. A PCI device is plugged into the PCI slot on the motherboard. The network card is a typical PCI slot device.
PCI Simple Communications Controllers missing is lack of the Intel Management Engine interface drivers. Normally it happens after you upgrade the system from Windows 7, 8 to Windows 10 or Windows 11, all the devices and drivers are installed correctly, but maybe this one cannot be installed.
So try to download and update Intel management engine driver for Windows 11, 10, 8, 7 to fix PCI simple communications controllers device driver missing problem.
There are 3 ways you can download and update the IME (Intel Management Engine) driver.
Solution 1: Update PCI Simple Communications Controllers Driver by Device Manager
Using device manager to update the IME driver will be an easy way, you can try it at first. If you have already tried it, you can goes to solution 2 and solution 3 directly.
2. Expand Other Devices and find the PCI Simple Communications Controller.
3. Right-click it and choose Update Driver.
4. Choose the first option: Search automatically for updated driver software.
After that, Windows will search PCI devices drivers online and update it automatically.
If this driver can find by Windows, you have already fixed it. If Windows remind that, you have already installed the latest version PCI Simple Communications Controller but the problem still exist, follow the below solutions.
Solution 2: Update PCI Simple Communications Controller Automatically
Updating PCI Simple Communications Controller driver in automatically way will be the best choice. It will save you more time in the whole process of finding the missing driver, downloading and installing the driver. More additional, if you have less knowledge about the PCI devices and IME, all the process will take more time.
You can use Driver Booster to help you. Driver Booster can scan all computer hardware devices such as chipset, motherboard and its slots, find the missing and outdated drivers.
Then provide the right and latest version of drivers for the computer. Using this way, you can download and update PCI Simple Communications Controller drivers for Windows 10, 8.1, 7 easily and fast.
1. Download, install and run Driver Booster on your computer.
2. Scan. The first step will help you detect the disappearing PCI Simple Communications Controller driver.
3. Find the Intel Management Engine and click Update.
And if you are not sure what driver you should to update, you can update all the drivers in one time.
Solution 3: Download and Update Intel Management Engine Drivers Manually
The Intel Management Engine driver will cause this error. So updating the Intel Management Engine driver can fix the driver error perfect. But the manual way will be some complex, so be some patients. Of course, you can go to solution 2 to use the automatic way.
1. Goes to this page: Intel Management Engine Drivers.
In the official download page, you will find an additional note:
It means this error is caused by the incorrect Intel ME driver.
2. Here you can download the ME_Corporate_Win7_8.1_10_220.127.116.114.zip file. This file supports all the 32 bit & 64 bit Windows 10, 8.1, 7.
3. Unzip the ME_Corporate_Win7_8.1_10_18.104.22.1684.zip. And there are 3 folders you can find: ME_SW_MSI, MEI-Only Installer MSI, and WINDOWSDriverPackages.
4. Open the first folder ME_SW_MSI and click SetupME.exe to start install the Intel Management Engine driver.
5. Follow the installation to install it.
5. After the Intel ME driver installed, you should restart your computer because the chipset-based driver need to reboot to take effect.
And then you can goes to device manager, the PCI Simple Communication Controller disappears, it means the right PCI Simple Communications Controller drivers is installed. So it worked.
Note for Windows 7:
If it is the Windows 7 PCI Simple Communications Controllers driver missing, you need to install a Kernel-Mode Driver Framework 1.11 (KB 2685811) at first, and you can download it from this page.
Easier Way for Windows 7:
If you are using Windows 7, and don’t want to install the framework, you can also download this file: MEI_ALLOS_22.214.171.124_PV.exe. After that, you can double-click to install it directly.
The MEI_ALLOS_126.96.36.199_PV.exe is an Intel Management Engine driver for 5 series chipset-based desktop boards. And it can fully support Windows 7, Vista and XP 32 bit and 64 bit.
Follow these steps, the Intel Management Engine will be installed successfully. And it will fix PCI Simple Communications Controller not recognized error.