When you plug USB devices such as camera, mouse, keyboard, external hard drive, etc. to the computer, but the computer shuts down. So these devices cannot work well. And sometimes, you will lose some important data after the computer reboot.
In this way, you need to figure out why every time you insert USB devices into PC port, Window 10 keeps shutting down itself and then fix this computer error caused by USB device.
- 1: Plugged USB Devices to Another Computer
- 2: Check Other Connected Devices
- 3: Uninstall and Update USB Drivers
- 4: Troubleshoot Hardware and Devices
- 5: Change the Power Supply
- 6: Disable USB Port
Solution 1: Plugged USB Devices to Another Computer
If your pc keeps power off status when you plug a USB device to the USB port, you can try to plug it to another computer to test if that computer will shut down or not.
This will to make sure the device itself is well or not. And for some devices such as camera, it connects the computer with a USB cable, so try to change a new USB cable and do not use the cheap cable. Sometimes, the broken or problem USB cable will cause computer shut down.
Solution 2: Check Other Connected Devices
Sometimes, if you have plugged too many external devices into Windows 10, like Microphone, Speaker, USB storage device, and so on, some of them may consume much power of the PC, thus shutting down Windows 10.
Therefore, you would better try to plug the external devices one by one to check if there is any power-consuming device or if any device conflict exists on Windows 10.
Solution 3: Uninstall and Update USB Drivers
If one device cannot work, update the driver will be a direct way. Because all devices need a driver to work well. So try to update the USB driver.
Uninstall USB Driver:
1. Open Device Manager by searching it in the search box.
2. Expand the Universal Serial Bus controllers, and find the host controller.
3. Right-click the host controller and choose Uninstall device to uninstall the device.
4. Choose all the host controller and USB root hub to uninstall them one by one.
5. Reboot your pc and then the pc will reinstall all the USB drivers automatically.
And After the rebooted, you can enter the device manager to see if all the USB drivers are installed.
Update USB Driver:
If there is one or more USB driver cannot be installed correctly, you can use Driver Booster to help you update it. As for a professional driver updater, Driver Booster will find the latest USB driver for you and install it automatically, which would significantly save your time and energy.
1. Download Driver Booster on Windows 10.
2. After installing and running it, choose to Scan for any problematic device drivers.
3. Locate Universal Serial Bus controllers and then Update the USB driver.
The minute Driver Booster updated the USB device drivers on Windows 10, reconnect the USB device and this time Windows 10 won’t shut down automatically.
Solution 4: Troubleshooting Hardware and devices
If your devices had problem such as the USB devices cause the pc shut down, you can use troubleshoot to detect and fix the problem automatically.
1. Type troubleshoot in the search box and enter troubleshooting center.
2. In troubleshoot settings, choose Hardware and Devices, and Run the troubleshooter.
3. Then Windows will scan hardware devices and detect the hardware errors. After that, it will fix it automatically.
Solution 5: Change the Power Supply
The failing power supply may cause the computer turns off when insert a USB device. So if you use a laptop, you’d better change the power adapter from the official repair center. Because different type power supply may damage your PC and cause other problems.
Solution 6: Disable USB Port
As your last resort, if the above-mentioned solutions failed to fix USB device causing PC to shut down error, perhaps you have to disable the USB port to prevent computers from turning off all of a sudden.
In Device Manager, expand Universal Serial Bus controllers and then right click the USB port to Disable device.
If your USB devices can’t work in USB port, of course, they will not lead to PC shutting down.
Wish this article can solve the problem of computer shut down after inserting a USB device easily and fast.