Sometimes, you will suddenly run into OpenGL error when playing games, for instance, can’t find the name of Intel ICD OpenGL driver. Or for the better gaming experience, there is much need to make sure the Intel, AMD, and NVIDIA OpenGL driver are updated.
But for many of you, what this OpenGL means and how to update the OpenGL on Windows and Mac.
What is OpenGL? What is OpenGL Driver?
OpenGL, short for Open Graphics Library, is the standard 3D Graphics API and is often required in some games or software. It will provide these programs with graphics and images. It is worth noting that OpenGL aims to communicate with the GPU (Graphics Processing Unit) to improve the performance of the hardware.
On another hand, the OpenGL driver ensuring OpenGL is installed with the graphics card driver, like Intel, AMD, and NVIDIA HD graphics drivers.
How to Download and Update OpenGL Drivers?
It is said that if not updating the OpenGL drivers, your PC will automatically set the OpenGL to its default version, namely, OpenGL 1.1. In this way, there is a high probability that you can’t enjoy the maximized gaming experience.
While in order to get the OpenGL drivers updated, you need only update the display driver as OpenGL driver will come along with the driver you download. For instance, if you are using Intel HD graphics card, try to update the Intel driver so as to get the latest OpenGL driver installed.
- 1: Update the OpenGL Driver Automatically
- 2: Update OpenGL Drivers Manually
- 3: Update OpenGL Driver in Device Manager
Method 1: Update the OpenGL Driver Automatically
More often than not, users find it difficult to locate the right OpenGL drivers even on OpenGL official site. If it is the case, why not try an automatic tool to download the recent driver for OpenGL? Here Driver Booster can be the top one driver updater available for you.
Whatever display card on your PC, Driver Booster is able to detect the outdated or corrupted graphics driver for you.
1. Download, install and run Driver Booster.
2. Hit the Scan button. Immediately Driver Booster will search for all the missing, outdated and even faulty drivers for you.
3. Pinpoint Display adapters and then Update the graphics driver.
Driver Booster will automatically install the display driver on your PC, like Intel ICD OpenGL driver. In doing so, you will notice the OpenGL driver has been updated as well. Start and enjoy your game, such as Minecraft.
Method 2: Update OpenGL Driver Manually
Due to the fact that OpenGL driver is embedded with the Intel graphics card, the time you feel like finding the driver on your own, you just need to get the latest graphics driver.
Here for different display card, be it AMD, Intel, and NVIDIA card, you are supposed to their individual official site.
Here take the example of updating Intel ICD OpenGL driver as an example. Of course, it is accessible to download AMD OpenGL or NVIDIA OpenGL driver on AMD or NVIDIA site.
1. Navigate to Intel official site.
2. On Intel site, click Graphics driver.
3. Choose your Intel model and then filter by Drivers, Windows 10 64 bit. You need to enter your Windows type, like Windows 10 32-bit, Windows 8, 7, etc.
4. Follow the on-screen instructions to finish installing the Intel HD graphics driver.
On the basis of that, you will have also updated Intel ICD OpenGL driver for Windows 10. In this case, you may as well open your game to check whether OpenGL driver error will pop up again.
Method 3: Update OpenGL Driver in Device Manager
Otherwise, it makes sense to get the OpenGL driver from the graphics driver within Windows 10. That is to say, you can attempt to let Windows device manager find the driver you need.
1. Open Device Manager.
2. Expand Display adapters and then right-click the graphics driver to Update driver. Here your display card may be AMD, Intel, or NVIDIA or any other ones with different brands.
3. Try to Search automatically for the updated driver software.
If possible, the Device Manager will locate the latest graphics driver for you. You can install it on Windows 10 in the hope that the OpenGL driver can be updated. In a large sense, can’t find the name of Intel ICD OpenGL driver or any other OpenGL driver issue in games will disappear.
In a word, if you are to download the recent OpenGL driver, you are to install the most updated graphics driver for Windows 11, 10, 8, 7.