To change lock screen for Windows 10 is the habit for some people, but it is also common when you encounter Windows 10 can’t change lock screen as some settings are managed by your organization. Or sometimes, it shows as We cannot set this one as the lock screen Windows 11/10.
People would like to change Windows lock screen in Start > Settings >Personalization > Lock Screen. While just as the complaint from a user saying “I can’t change my lockscreen photo on my Windows 10 desktop PC”, you are confused to fix can’t change Windows 10 lock screen image.
Way 1: Use Registry Editor to Make Windows Change Lock Screen and Login Image
The most potential reason why you can’t change lock screen background image lies in that you have mistakenly changed the setting to lock screen Windows 10 in the registry editor.
1. Press Windows + R to open the Run box and then enter gpedit.msc in the box. Finally, hit OK to navigate to the Local Group Policy Editor. For Windows 11/10 home users, you can read this article: how to enable group policy editor on Windows 11/10 Home.
2. In Registry Editor, go as the path:
Computer Configuration/Administrative Templates/Control Panel/Personalization
3. Under Personalization, on the right pane, find out the sub-branch Prevent changing lock screen and login image and right click it to Edit.
4. In Prevent changing lock screen and login image window, tick for Not configured and then click Apply and OK to take effects.
At this moment, you can turn off your computer and login in again, you can easily find can’t change lock screen image in Windows 10 disappeared and you can set the lock screen as you like.
Way 2: Do a Clean Boot to Enable Changing Lock Screen
If you are still unable to change lock screen for Windows 11, 10, 8.1, besides the last resort to reset Windows 10, you would be better at first clean boot your computer to see if helps to fix Windows 10 lock screen not changing.
The clean boot would enable you to start Windows 10 with a minimal set of programs and processes, thus granting convenience for you to solve cannot change lock screen Windows 8, as well.
1. Type in msconfig in the search box and stroke Enter to open the System Configuration window.
2. Under the General tab, choose Selective startup and then uncheck the box of Load startup items.
And then click OK to save changes.
3. Under Service tab, check the box of Hide all Microsoft services and then click Disable all.
Then you are able to do a clean boot on Windows 11/10, just following the on-screen steps.
Those are the two main solutions targeting at removing lock screen won’t change Windows 10. You can try them one by one until you are capable of changing Windows 10 login screen picture or photo or image.