Windows users know that Microsoft tends to offer Windows updates regularly to fix various bugs and issues. It has become a routine for some users to check for updates to get the latest system updates and features.
However, users may also encounter various Windows update issues, for instance, “Your device is missing important security and quality fixes” and Windows Update can’t currently check for updates.
While you tried to check for Windows 10 updates and it showed you no available updates, the Windows update failed error “Your device is missing important security and quality fixes” appeared for unknown reasons. Don’t worry! You can get rid of this Windows update error with this post.
Why Is Your Device Missing Important Security and Quality Fixes?
Normally, as the error suggests, users may try to check for updates to install the important security and quality fixes, but you may find that your device has installed the latest Windows update packages.
In this case, it implies that the latest Windows update that you have installed may be corrupted or broken, so you received the warning “your device is missing important security and quality fixes”.
Besides, the Telemetry level that users get when installing Windows 10 may be problematic, so it reminds you that your device misses essential security and quality fixes because of the role of Telemetry in storing information from the Security level.
For some users, Windows update services and important device drivers are also to blame for your missing security and quality fixes.
How to Fix “Your Device Is Missing Important Security and Quality Fixes”?
From the causes of “missing security and quality fixes”, users need to reinstall the latest Windows update package and check the Telemetry settings to ensure they are right for the system. Moreover, the embedded Windows update troubleshooter may also be helpful in some cases.
- 1: Uninstall and Reinstall the Latest Windows Update
- 2: Change the Telemetry Level in Group Policy Editor
- 3: Reset Windows Update Services
- 4: Run Windows Update Troubleshooter
Solution 1: Uninstall and Reinstall the Latest Windows Update
As the error message implies, there are problems with the Windows update. In some cases, your device may have installed a new package of the latest Windows version, but it is broken or corrupted.
Sometimes, perhaps you just failed to install the latest system successfully. Hence, you may as well get rid of the problematic Windows update and reinstall a new one in case of missing important and quality fixes.
1. Go to Start > Settings > Update & Security.
2. Under Windows Update, click View installed update history.
3. In View update history > Uninstall updates, find out the most recent Security and Quality Updates.
4. In the next window of the Control Panel, locate and right-click the security or quality update to Uninstall.
According to user reports, such updates as Update KB4100347 and KB4457128 may likely cause the “Your device is missing important security and quality fixes” error, so you may as well uninstall them if any.
5. Restart your device.
6. After rebooting your computer, go to Start > Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update > Check for updates.
In so doing, you can observe that your device has reinstalled the latest security and quality updates. The error “your device misses important security and quality fixes” disappeared, and new updates may also help you fix numerous system issues.
Solution 2: Change the Telemetry Level in Group Policy Editor
Microsoft designs Telemetry to collect data from users to improve user experience with future Windows updates. Normally, Windows users accept the existence and working of the Telemetry system to improve their experience.
However, it is likely the telemetry level on your system is not suitable, thus resulting in problems with Windows updates. You may as well adjust the Telemetry level for your Windows device.
1. Press Windows + R to elevate the Run box.
2. Input gpedit.msc in the Run box and then hit Enter to move on.
3. In Local Group Policy Editor, navigate to Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Data Collection and Preview Builds, and then locate and double click Allow Telemetry.
4. Tick the circle of Enabled to enable Allow Telemetry.
5. Under Options, set “Allow Telemetry” as Basic or Enhanced or Full rather than Security.
6. Hit Apply and OK to save changes.
After changing the Telemetry level, you are free from the Windows update issue that Your device is missing important security and quality fixes on Windows 10, 8, and 7.
Solution 3: Reset Windows Update Services
Sometimes, services for Windows updates may also give rise to “missing important security and quality” problem.
If so, you also need to check the Windows update services such as net stop wuauserv. You can try to stop these services that work for downloading and installing Windows updates, uninstall the Software Distribution folder where Windows update packages locate, and then restart the Windows update services.
1. In the search box, type in command prompt and then right click the best-matched result to Run as administrator.
2. In Command Prompt, enter the following commands and hit Enter after every input one by one.
net stop wuauserv
net stop bits
net stop appidsvc
net stop cryptsvc
In this way, you will have ended Windows update services.
3. In Command Prompt again, copy and paste the following command and then press Enter to delete the Software Distribution folder:
Ren %systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
4. Restart Windows update services by running the following commands one by one:
net start wuauserv
net start bits
net start appidsvc
net start cryptsvc
With this action, you are to start the stopped services related to the Windows update. After that, you can check for updates to see whether your device is still missing Windows security and quality features due to the missing important security and quality fixes. For example, Windows update error 0x800705b4 or 0x8024a105 may be resolved after resetting the Windows update services.
Solution 4: Run Windows Update Troubleshooter
Microsoft has also offered Windows users an embedded tool to automatically troubleshoot and deal with Windows update problems.
In this way, if you keep receiving the error that your device is missing essential security and quality updates, you can just run the Windows update troubleshooter on Windows 10.
1. In the search box, type in troubleshoot and then hit the best-matched result.
2. Under Troubleshoot, on the right pane, scroll down to locate Windows Update.
3. Choose to Run the troubleshooter of the Windows update.
Wait until the inbuilt troubleshooter can figure out fixes for your “Windows security and quality updates missing” error.
Fortunately, some users can simply fix “your device is missing important security and quality fixes” with the Windows embedded troubleshooter. You can see there is no more warning to show you Windows update problems. The Windows Update troubleshooter may help you fix other problems such as “potential Windows update database error detected” issue.
Bonus Tip: Update All Device Drivers Automatically
You can also try to keep your device drivers up-to-date for better PC performance. Sometimes, driver compatibility issues can also lead to system crashes. In this way, you can try to use a professional third-party driver tool, Driver Booster, to keep your device driver updated all the time automatically.
1. Download, install and run Driver Booster on your computer.
2. Click Scan.
3. Find out and hit Update all to install all the latest drivers automatically.
Of course, users can manage to install individual device drivers such as the graphics driver and the network driver when the tool reminds you that it is outdated or corrupted.
4. Wait until the tool automatically installs the latest drivers for your device.
With the most up-to-date drivers, you will notice that your system runs smoothly without any compatibility issues. This tool can also help you fix problems like audio issues and download game components.
This post tries to teach you how to fix the Windows update error “Your device is missing important security and quality fixes” in different ways. For most users, reinstalling the latest updates and adjusting the Telemetry settings will help.